Contact Email

My contact email: 1tgoding@gmail.com

Monday, August 12, 2024

Glassing the Cabin Top

 Prior to glassing the cabin top I prepared the area.





All holes, fillets and construction dents were filled and sanded smooth using 120 grit discs on an orbital sander.








The area was given a good vacuum and wiped down with denatured alcohol. Using a felt tip marker I drew rings around all the grab rail screw holes so they would be easy to see and find after glassing.






I cut a 1500 mm length of 1040mm wide glass cloth.









The glass cloth is laid over the starboard side cabin top and smoothed in place with a gloved hand.





To give a neat edge I applied masking tape to the hull sides around the circumference of the cloth.



Using a large flat paint spatula, I poured and smoothed epoxy over the glass cloth starting in the center and working outwards. 






I used a total of 320 mls of epoxy in three separate batches to completely cover the area.









Next the port side is laid.







Moving forward it's time to fiberglass the Dorade boxes. 

A paper template is made as a cut out guide.









But before I lay the fiberglass, I will drill the holes for the mooring cleats. I'm using 6" or 152mm long 316 stainless steel cleats.





 



4 smaller holes drilled for a trial fit of the cleats. Then larger holes are drilled.









 


A syringe is filled with thickened epoxy.












The back of the holes are covered with masking tape.








And thickened epoxy squeezed into the larger holes.

 





After the epoxy has set the area is completely sanded. Smaller holes for mounting the cleats are drilled through the thickened epoxy and the area thoroughly cleaned.









A paper template is made for the fiberglass cloth.






The area is masked up and glassed.

                       



No comments:

Post a Comment