Contact Email

My contact email: 1tgoding@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Fwd Anchor locker Completion

 Now I have built, and trial fitted the Bowsprit I can complete the forward anchor locker lid. The construction of the forward locker Mod is covered in the September post 2022.

I needed to trial fit the Bowsprit so as to locate the hinges and allow the lid to fully open. The lid cleared the Bowsprit but touched the upper breast hook. I had to cut a small section from the breasthook to allow the lid to fully open. I made the cut with a decorative curve; I think it looks OK.






The first step was to install the remaining cleats that will support the lid. 






Next, I glued 4mm thick pads for the hinges and barrel bolt to be screwed on. The pads are 4mm thick and the same shape but slightly larger than the hinges and barrel bolt. They provide a decorative and thicker section for screwing down the hardware.



As I outlined in the September 2022 post the construction of the forward anchor locker when closed has to be completely sealed thus providing buoyancy when closed. 

To achieve this, I needed to do two things, firstly I installed a transom bung into the anchor locker drainage hole (as outlined in the September 2022 post) and secondly make the locker lid completely sealed when closed.

The locker lid was made from two pieces of 6mm ply glued together. The top piece fitting the opening and resting on the cleats, the bottom section was slightly smaller leaving a recess around the lid where a rubber seal will be glued. The recess was routed down to 4mm thickness to allow the lid to sit flush with the deck when the rubber seals are installed.




Small fillets are applied in the corners to allow one piece of glass cloth to be applied to the underside.






After a cleanup the underside is painted, and rubber seals are glued to the edges. The seals will ensure the anchor locker space is watertight and adds buoyancy. 

The rubber seals are glued in place with Cyanoacrylate or commonly known as Super Glue.






No comments:

Post a Comment